Friday, November 30, 2007

The Schreiber testimony: You know, it's not just about this "pasta nonsense"

Karlheinz Schreiber appeared before the Commons Ethics committee on Thursday to testify about his dealings with Former PM Brian Mulroney (full video here). I was too weak to resist...I parked myself in front of Newsworld and watched the whole damn thing. And I took notes, Luddite long-hand style!

Ok, world's smallest violin--I haz it. My husband and I have been reduced to sharing one measly computer lately, so I haven't had an opportunity to post my notes from the Schreiber hearing until now. This is NOT a transcript, but I feel that it's important to archive them here for future reference...even if it's just my own ;) Let me be honest with you, though: if you're looking for true live-blogging, replete with witty running commentary, look no further than Kady O'Malley's blog at Maclean's. She haz it. The National Post's Shane Dingman also did a damn fine job of blogging the hearing.

You can find my notes at my not-so-live-blog "Foul Deeds," in five parts:
  • Part I: Going on their "willy nilly way"--the ghost of Eddy Greenspan
  • Part II: Deferred admission--does anybody here know teh rulez?
  • Part III: And for 500K, he'll even wax your tank!
  • Part IV: Wherein the CPC suddenly discovers its passion for bilingualism
  • Part V: The "Neverending Story," or "Why don't we just ask the 5th Estate guys what happened?"
Some passing thoughts on the hearings: Cripes in shitty napkins, doesn't anyone on that damn committee know the rules? While the members get props for keeping their pencils to themselves this time, I'm just blown away by how many times members had to be corrected (point of order v. point of debate) and by the frequent need to consult with the Clerks.

Oh, and hey: did you know Schreiber used to be a judge?! Me neither. At first I just figured he was joking...maybe he meant "Judge" in the "Reinhold" sense of the term. Heh.

Cons were desperate to paint this hearing as a waste of time and tried to create some serious distance between their CRAP party and that of the former PM. They also tried to put off the hearing until 7PM Thursday, ostensibly to allow Schreiber time to find his documents, but really...you could tell they just didn't wannu be there (or have journamalists present!).

Schreiber's cagey, but we knew that, eh? Show them a bit of leg on Thursday and...

Stay Tuned.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are totally a woman after my own heart, Ms. Kitty -- someone who wants things to be captured for the record just BECAUSE IT SHOULD BE SO (goddammit). I know it's okay to say that around here, so I thought I should throw it in. I look forward to reading your account in great detail as soon as I get some work done. I have some due dates staring me down the wrong side of a calendar page and it's getting ugly around here.

Ann D
http://www.onewomanoneblog.com

11/30/2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger thwap said...

This is great. The sort of stuff that the Canadian internet-left needs.

Thanks.

12/03/2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger Godammitkitty said...

Thanks so much for reading, ann & thwap :)

I hope to do this again on Tues morning, although I probably won't post my notes until later in the evening (still sharing my computer with Mr. Kitty).

Cheers!

12/04/2007 12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home