Monday, October 10, 2005

"I wanted to slap him"

Irish journalist, Carole Coleman, provides us with a vivid description of her interview with Bush:

“But Mr President,” I interrupted again, “the world is a more dangerous place today. I don’t know whether you can see that or not.”
“Why do you say that?”
“There are terrorist bombings every single day. It’s now a daily event. It wasn’t like that two years ago.”
“What was it like on September 11 2001? It was a . . . there was relative calm, we . . .”
“But it’s your response to Iraq that’s considered . . .”
“Let me finish. Let me finish. Please. You ask the questions and I’ll answer them, if you don’t mind.” His hand was raised again as if to indicate that he was not going to tolerate this. Again, I felt I had no choice but to keep quiet.


[...] and after the interview was over:

“Is that how you do it in Ireland — interrupting people all the time?” I froze. He was not happy with me and was letting me know it.

[...] And finally, after the interview aired, Carole received a call from a White House "handler":

“You were given an opportunity to interview the leader of the free world and you blew it,” she began.
I was beginning to feel as if I might be dreaming. I had naively believed the American president was referred to as the “leader of the free world” only in an unofficial tongue-in-cheek sort of way by outsiders, and not among his closest staff.
“You were more vicious than any of the White House press corps or even some of them up on Capitol Hill . . . The president leads the interview,” she said.


Wow! Needless to say, Carole has been forbidden from further interviews with the WH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home