Sunday, June 17, 2007

Ladies & Gentlemen: I'm afraid we're going to need a *lot* more weed

That is, if we want to survive this protracted 'silly season,' we call the US federal election process.

Have you seen this campaign video for Fmr. Sen. Mike Gravel? You might have caught a snip or two on the Daily Show, last week. Messieurs et Mesdames, I bring you: "Rock" by gravel2008.us



Better 'trippy' than 'Trippi,' eh? (Please don't shoot!)

Now, if you're at all like me, then that 2min 51sec clip definitely challenged your attention span. Well, you can just imagine my royal-ADHDness trying to cope with his 7min+ video, "Fire"

Gotta love that mournful foghorn in the background, eh?

I know, I know: Gravel ain't winnin' anything. That doesn't mean that I can't love him. I figure he's like Kucinich, except channelled through Vice Adm. James Stockdale.* And I gotta give this Gravel guy some props: he may not have intended to appeal to the arthouse crowd,** but I know I've seen this style of short-film before somewherez artsy. Maybe even artsy-fartsy...

Now where have I seen this before?

...scratching head...

...grepping brain...

A-HA!!! I remember: it was Wholphin, Vol. 1.Wholphin is a series of DVDs containing short-films (a brain-child of the McSweeney's gang). I'm totally in luuuurve with these discs, but more about that some other time. For now, I ask you to behold the main-menu 'loop' for Wholphin, Vol. 1, starring Patton Oswalt and David Byrne:



So! A hearty & arty kudos to you, Sen. Gravel. I expect to see more of your work in Wolphin, Vol. 5. I hear that Errol Morris is looking for a new project :)

*7min18sec: "Who am I? Why am I here?" Stockdale was Perot's running mate in 1992

**I am not, nor have I ever been, "arty" and I mean no offense towards the arthouse crowd. Y'all are a riot. Especially when you don't get mad at me for my lack of artistic sensibilities (artlessness?).
Are we still good?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far. Out.

Man, I could watch those forever. Like, I did, didn't I? That fire, man. And the vice-presidential debate. Mellow.

Can you get us Andy Warhol on the Empire State Building next time? That would be so cool, chick.

I told you the sixties were coming back. Man. Groovy. Peace, chick.

6/17/2007 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home