Monday, November 07, 2005

PBS "Now" on Global Health

I've just caught up with all of the things I taped last week. One of those "things" was a PBS "Now" special on Global Health. It exceeded my expectations--it was fantastic! Although it was subtitled "America's Response," the program focused on AIDS and Africa. The special began with a 1/2 hr interview with Jimmy Carter in which the former president offered several interesting approaches to combatting infectious diseases. I was particularly impressed with the simple filter-cloths that were distributed to prevent Guinea worm infection. By far the most interesting part of the special was the history of Uganda's approach to combatting HIV/AIDS--the successes and the slipbacks.

The transcript of the show is available here. I would highly recommend that you subscribe to NOW's podcast, too. Such an excellent show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home