Monday, November 27, 2006

Ka-BLOG Day 3: Aussie Shoe Expo brings Attention to VAW

It's Day 3 of Take Back the Tech and I've been searching high & low (virtually, anyway) for stories about how people are commemorating the 16 Days Campaign. Tonight I'd like to feature a report from Australia:

Shoes speak in the fight against violence towards women [ABC.net]
As part of the lead up to White Ribbon Day 29 prominent Riverland community members have contributed their shoes to an exhibition raising awareness of violence against women.
Currently on display at the Renmark Public Library the shoes are accompanied by a booklet featuring people's thoughts about violence against women.
The exhibition has been organised by the Riverland Zonta Club. Club President Jenny Boyd says the exhibition is inspired by a similar event that highlighted domestic violence statistics
"It's based on the 77 pairs of shoes that was put together by the YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association) in Adelaide. That was 77 pairs of shoes reflecting that 77 intimate partner homicides on average happen every year in Australia."
Here's my favourite:

My boots remind me of dad.
I slide them on
He is there (though he is gone)
I feel safe
This is as it should be
--Sue George, Physiotherapist Loxton

More ideas and stories to come.

technorati tags:

3 Comments:

Blogger Selva said...

wow very good product..Am wearing your this shoe for two year,i think this shoe has made a new record in my history of shoes,i made my friends to purchase same like this boot shoes

9/04/2007 6:22 AM  
Anonymous better shoesclothes said...

yes, it very good. i'd like to have one for myself, it must high quality as nike shoes and adidas shoes.

3/29/2009 11:51 AM  
Anonymous nike shox said...

Wow, this was a truly quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and actual effort to make a great post… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and in no way seem to get something done.

8/24/2010 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home